This year we swapped over from yachtsponsorship.com to yachtracing.biz. The top pages on the site continue to be our league table of the top yacht racing and sailing brands on Facebook, as well as the section indexes for the America’s Cup and Volvo Ocean Race.
In a year when the America’s Cup World Series went from pipe-dream to very expensive circus, it is perhaps little wonder that people wanted to know things like the dates, the venues and the teams, but the power of consumer brands and cross-promotional activation meant that Laird Hamilton and his Puma Stand Up Paddle board drew new visitors to our site (and our sport?)
Top Stories of 2011 by views
- America’s Cup World Series Calendar : In February, ACEA announced that there would be 5 World Series events in 2011. In the end, there were 3. An event was also planned for February 2012 that will not take place.
- Puma Ocean Racing and Laird Hamilton Team Up for SUP : In June, PUMA announced a campaign with ‘the ultimate waterman – Laird Hamilton, to search for monster waves and promote a new Juan K designed stand up paddleboard.
- Plymouth Announced as America’s Cup World Series Venue: As an April Fools joke, the ACEA announced that the prestige of the world’s oldest sporting trophy would be honored by taking it to… Plymouth England. The event was saved by the British people’s love of sailing which meant that crowds actually turned up.
- Hugo Boss teaches us a lesson in Activation : In 2009, Alex Thomson momentarily stood on the keel of his Open 60 yacht in a suit. Sometimes in a Youtube world, we forget the power of the still image, but this story was still one of the most viewed in 2011. Not only does the stunt reveal the power of a well staged photo opportunity, but it also highlights the long-term benefits of SEO.
- Mark Turner Video Interview : Half way through the Extreme Sailing Series first year as a global tour, we caught up with OC Thirdpole Chairman, Mark Turner to get his thoughts. (We caught up with him again at the World Yacht Racing Forum for a preview of 2012 too..)
Top Stories of 2011 by reader feedback
- Bruno Peyron Talks about Energy Team : In September, we caught up with Bruno Peyron at the Plymouth round of the America’s Cup World Series. At the time he was optimistic about sponsorship and the business model.
- Where are the America’s Cup Personalities? : This debate will run and run. Is the sport doing enough to create characters that are likable (or hatable). The America’s Cup marketing people are still pushing technology as the headline act – the boats, the TV wizardry, and the sailors – well the sailors are for the most part strange corporate PR androids.
What were your favourite stories of 2011?